Saturday, October 26, 2013

How to make a DIY Ultralight Bottle opener




Here is a DIY bottle opener that's great for backpacking, camping, or just everyday use. There's no sense in adding more weight to your pack with a bottle opener, especially if your trying to cut weight to pack more celebratory spirits on an outing. There is always the option of using a lighter to open your bottles, but save your fingers and hands some pain, this opener only weighs in at 4.4 grams. For this easy DIY project you will need

  • A plastic keychain bottle opener 
  • Craft foam (I used 6mm)
  • Superglue
  • Small saw, dremel, or something to cut the opener with
  • Razor blade
  • Sandpaper

I first removed the keychain label and keyring. I then covered the top of the bottle opener in super glue and placed the craft foam on top. Once the glue had dried, I used the razor blade to trim the foam on the top of the opener. I then used the saw on my multi-tool to trim off the back of the opener, leaving material only where I needed it. I Used the razor blade and sandpaper to round off the rough edges I cut as well as to create a more attractive foam pad for my thumb on the top. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave feedback or make suggestions

UA-44783480-1