Tuesday, October 22, 2013

How to Make a Wood Fly Box that is Cheap, Easy and Ultralight!



I was recently in a local craft store with my girlfriend when I stumbled upon some small wood boxes in the painting project aisle. I went to the kids aisle and found some 6mm craft foam to fit inside as inserts and that was it! All of the necessary materials for a cheap and easy DIY wood fly box for around $5.00. That's pretty good compared to some of the new fly boxes costing up to 80 bucks in stores.When I got home I measured the inside of the box and cut the 6mm foam to fit. I used one piece of foam for the top and two pieces for the bottom to accommodate larger hooks and streamers. A few drops of super glue were enough to hold each piece of foam in place. This took under five minutes to do altogether which means you  could crank out a few if you wanted. There were also a few different sizes of boxes but I found the smaller boxes to be the most sturdy since the wood the boxes are made from isn't incredibly strong. I think a simple stain might add some nice color and the corners could be sanded round but I'm satisfied with the box so far.




There's a quick, easy, cheap and light DIY wooden fly box for your next fly fishing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave feedback or make suggestions

UA-44783480-1